This lesson is taken from Matthew 8:23-27
Jesus got into a boat and His disciples followed Him. Just think, it would have to be a good size boat to hold so many people. Usually in the time of the Bible, if a boat was very big, it would have oars and sails. During a storm the sails are taken down to keep them from getting torn up, and to help make the boat easier to control.
Well, while Jesus and His disciples were out on the lake, Jesus fell asleep. Without any warning a terrible storm came up on the lake. The storm was so bad that the waves came up over the boat. Many of Jesus disciples were fishermen, and they knew how dangerous a storm could be. The disciples became afraid of the storm, so they went and woke Jesus up. They said to Jesus, “Lord! Save us! We're going to drown!' But, Jesus said to them, “You of little faith, why are you afraid!” Jesus got up and very sharply scolded the winds and the waves. Then everything became completely calm.
The disciples were surprise at what Jesus did. And they asked each other, “What kind of man is this? Even the winds and the waves obey Him!” You see even after seeing all the miracles that Jesus had done, the disciples still didn't understand who Jesus was. They didn't know that Jesus could control nature, too!
It was Jesus' power that calmed the storm in the our lesson, and Jesus can also help you deal with problems in your own life. Jesus is willing to help you, if you will only ask Him. You should never doubt Jesus' powers, just trust Him to help you.
Lesson Questions Fill in the blanks:
- Without warning, a bad ________________ came up on the lake. It was so bad that the waves _______________ over the boat.
- But Jesus was ________________ in the boat.
- The disciples woke Jesus up. What did the disciples say to Jesus? ___________ ! ____________ _____________ ! We're going to _____________ !
- What did Jesus say to the disciples? _______ ____ __________ __________ , why are you ____________ ?
- Jesus got up and very sharply _____________ the winds and the waves. Then everything became _______________ calm.
- Who did the disciples say the winds and the waves obeyed? _______________
Activity: unscramble the words
- SSEUJ ____________________
- BTAO ____________________
- DSSIILPEC ____________________
- AFITH ____________________
- AFIARD ______________________
Jesus Calms the Storm – Answer Sheet
Lesson Questions Answers
1. Without warning, a bad storm came up on the lake. It was so bad that the
waves came over the boat.
2. But Jesus was sleeping in the boat.
3. The disciples woke Jesus up. What did the disciples say to Jesus? Lord!
Save us! We're going to drown !
4. What did Jesus say to the disciples? you of little faith , why are you afraid ?
5. Jesus got up and very sharply scolded the winds and the waves. Then
everything became completely calm.
6. Who did the disciples say the winds and the waves obeyed? Jesus
- SSEUJ JESUS
- BTAO BOAT
- DSSIILPEC DISCIPLES
- AFITH FAITH
- AFIARD AFRAID